Monday, August 26, 2013

I Don't...

I totally copied this idea from my Quad Mama friend's blog Texas Tales, but I loved her post!  I also thought that if I put the same ideas out there it might make other moms feel better.  Or it might make them judge me.  This blogging stuff is risky business!  A lot of my "I don'ts" are the same as Amber's, but it's the truth people.

I DON'T...


  • practice consistent hygiene.  I don't shower everyday, in fact I aim for every other day.  If it's a good week I'll shower the days I work out.  I couldn't tell you the last time I used my hair dryer; I shower at night and sleep on wet hair and hope my Chi can save it the next day.  Bobby pins and headbands are my best friends (I have short hair, so no ponies for me).  I have forgotten to put on deodorant and not realized it until the end of the day and determined what's the point now?  Generally I'm much better about teeth brushing, but sometimes the morning brush doesn't happen until closer to lunch time or the nighttime brush doesn't happen until it's almost time for the morning brush.  Sometimes it just doesn't happen at all.  Shaving my legs?  Um, when I happen to think about it and my next thought is "I can't remember when I last shaved."  I think I average once a weekish on that.  Not too shabby!
  • get dressed everyday or do makeup.  If the only time I'm leaving my house for the day is to walk the babies and run myself, I go from my pajamas to my work out clothes and back again.  I also don't bother with make up unless I'm venturing out in public.  It just all takes up time I could use for something else and changing clothes several times a day just creates more laundry- something I don't need.  I now find it hard to believe I used to shower, fix my hair, put on make up, and go through several outfit changes a day.  I'm to the point now that if I do dress in normal clothes and put on make up everyone comments on how dressed up I am and asks where I'm going.  I have embraced the frumpy mom in myself, and that's ok.  Although I am a little disappointed What Not to Wear is on its last season.
  • drink coffee.  I think it's gross.  Always have.  I do drink 1 (2 on a bad day) diet soda to get a little caffeine boost.  Everyday between 3:30-4:30pm the tiredness hits me.  Someone told me that when I had kids I'd start drinking coffee.  Didn't happen.
  • diet.  I just don't like that word.  I don't deprive myself of foods I want because if I did I'd think about them all the time.  I love food!  I'm a big believer in portion control, moderation, and exercise.  My baby weight has come off extremely slowly- still have a few lbs to go- but I know it's because I've chosen to not diet and I didn't start a full out exercise regime until my kids were a year old.  Also, depending on meals/tons of desserts people brought to us (all delicious, not very healthy meals) made weight loss more difficult.  But, I'm glad I've taken my time with this stuff, and I've realized no matter how skinny I get, I'll still have the sextuplet belly pooch.
  • do all my housework/yardwork.  We have some great friends who have been mowing our yard for us for the past year- just because.  We do have a sprinkler system, so the watering is taken care of.  Any yard maintenance beyond mowing just doesn't get done unless my parents are in town, then it's just the bare minimum (i.e. yard looks horrible).  My neighbor does the baby laundry for me which is the best!  My grandmother and great aunt clean the floors and dust every week and Thank God for that!!  I do clean the bathrooms 2-3 times a month and clean the kitchen semi-regularly, but beyond those chores, stuff doesn't get done.  When my parents are in town we give the regulars a break and handle the chores.  It's really hard to believe I used to keep a strict cleaning schedule and not have any clutter in my house.  Oh how times have changed.  
  • sleep much, and not always in my bed.  It's a good thing I can function on very little sleep.  I've always been that way.  I get a second wind after my run and eating dinner and before I know it it'll be 1am.  Between the to do lists and catching up with my husband, family, friends, and favorite tv shows, the time just flies!  Even if I am exhausted from the kids.  Before kids I typically slept 5-6 hours a night and now it's more like 3-5, so really not that different.  I often fall asleep on the couch in the middle of doing something which is why I don't always sleep in my own bed.  I will say my level of tiredness increases throughout the week and by Friday I can't wait for bedtime!
  • give myself a hard time for not doing it all.  This is a big one for me.  I love my to-do lists and I really love to have everything crossed off of them.  But it's just not feasible.  I tend to make my goal list for each week and try to get the goals accomplished by the end of the week.  Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't.  This category also includes working with the kids- especially Leah.  I strive to fit in therapy exercises and developmental activities when the therapists aren't here.  Some days I'm on top of things, other days not so much.  I was feeling guilty about not fitting everything in everyday until her therapists told me- multiple times- that it's ok.  I call these kinds of days my "behind on life" days.  
  • take my kids to stores or restaurants.  This falls into the category of a lot of work, not much reward.  I just don't see the point at this age.  When people tell me they need the experience of going to a restaurant or store, I say "Do you remember going to those places when you were 1?" I sure don't.  Plus, getting to grocery shop or go to Target or go to a restaurant are my much needed breaks that I enjoy by myself or with Dave or a friend.  And I'm not sure how I would push around my 6 kids and a grocery cart.
  • constantly keep my eyes on my kids.  The only way this would be possible is if I kept them in the baby pen all the time and that's just no fun!  And they would get tired of that REAL quick.  The house is childproofed as much as it can be for now- until they get tall enough to open drawers and use doorknobs.  So, they get to roam around and play and explore.  When I need to get lunch together or do something with Leah or put away laundry, usually some of them follow me around, and the rest I just have to keep my ears open for.
  • mind using the TV when I need to.  I know it's frowned upon to let kids under 2 watch TV, but it is pure magic when Baby Einstein, Little Einsteins, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, or Blues Clues comes on.  Sometimes distracting them is the only way I can get lunch together or get ready for our walks or break the cycle of a 5 baby tantrum.  
I'm sure there are many more things I don't do, but this list is getting long already!  For those of you who tell me I'm doing a great job and that I'm super mom, I certainly appreciate the compliments, but as you can see I'm not that great and I have a fantastic support system that makes what I do easier.  Yes, there are tons of things I do everyday and my to do lists are extensive, but I'm doing the best I can and figuring out what works for my family.  

4 comments:

  1. I think that as long as the kids are happy, fed and clothed (and clothed can even be overlooked :) Then you are doing a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friends and family both are very necessary for better life. Loneliness is very bad for health too.

    Regards,
    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete
  3. What really matters is not what you don't but what you DO :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't always shower every day either, ha. We love Baby Einstein in this house and with the kids being sick this past week, they've been on constantly. I don't feel guilty for one second. You may have inspired me to baby proof some more of my house though and let them start roaming. We have a big play room where they spend most of their time but I know the kids would love to start exploring other parts of the house. As we've unpacked most of the stuff inside, it'll be easier to accomplish this. I so admire that you've been running/working out! I started and then stopped again, I just haven't found the time or energy but I strive to eventually get there. Can't beat ourselves up about everything - what we do in an average day is above and beyond the norm already!!

    ReplyDelete