Monday, June 17, 2013

13 1/2 month update

I had to add on the 1/2 because I'm so far behind!  As usual the blog has fallen to the wayside of other priorities and I will now be doing tons of posts within a few days to catch up.  Maybe this time around I'll do better at keeping up ;)

Anyways, pack it up pack it in, let me begin... (gold star if you know that song!)

Little guy Levi got his helmet off a few weeks ago!!  Helmet free is the way to be!  The neurosurgeon warned us that some kids have adjustment issues to being without the helmet, but Levi didn't miss it for a second.  I thought he might miss it when he bonked his head on something, but nope!  Just keeps on rolling.  Once the helmet was off, his hair started to grow in and he grew over an inch in height!
The day the helmet came off!
Ben finally got motivated to move and within a week began crawling, pulling to a stand, standing on his own, and maneuvering the walker with ease.  He's even taken a few steps on his own!  His new favorite game is what I've named the Forward Trust Fall.  He stands right in front of you, puts his arms straight out, and just launches himself towards you while squealing with delight.  I hope there's always a trustworthy person in front of him.

Andrew loves the little indoor slide we just put up.  He's the only one who can use his body weight to get himself going so I just have to catch him at the bottom.  He can also push toys and such around the house, so I think he could take some independent steps, but he prefers to do a quick crawl.  Just recently he has started to be a somewhat picky eater- shows preferences and takes forever to eat non-preferred items.

Allison was the first to take 2 steps on her own!  She just adored the applause.  She also has finally started holding her own cup!  I had to implement a little cup holding bootcamp one weekend to force her into holding her own cup- I knew she could do it!  She's been eating anything and everything lately- and eats as if I've been starving her for 5 days.  I think she may be turning into a little biter...

Caroline is the official first walker!!  I do have a video to share if I ever get it up on YouTube.  She still does not prefer walking as she hates falling down and gives you the stink eye for letting her go.  She loves to flip through books.  She is a great eater like Allison- eats anything and is quick about it.  Caroline's smile seems to be crinklier all the time, but we love it!  Caroline is still the night owl; waking up throughout the night ready to play and putting on her extra cute smile and making baby noises to get attention.

Leah has a new stroller!  It will grow with her for a few years and she can use it for all daily activities!  She had a swallow study done to double check the mechanics of her swallow and reassure us that she isn't aspirating.  Turns out she does aspirate on liquids, but not on solids.  Lots of work ahead to overcome her feeding aversion!  She did start a new medication via her neurologist and it's been wonderful!!!!  She has also grown enough lately to pass up Levi on the baby scale :)

Now that the 5 are eating big people table food- and finger feeding themselves everything- it's gotten much easier to do feedings.  Clean up is another story (Maggie helps sometimes).  I have started cooking again since they eat what we eat.  Crock pots and casseroles are my friends!  So far they've eaten up whatever I give them.  Granted, there are preferred foods and some things are slowly eaten, but they like all kinds of things- even random mixtures of leftovers shunned my family and friends!
After first meal of table foods
So far, summertime has been fun time!  We've busted out quite a few new toys from the birthday like a baby slide, baby pool, water tables, and choo choo wagon.  They all love the wagon.  The water table, pool, and slide get mixed reviews.  They tend to like toys more if I'm there to hold on to.  I did do a toy organization project because there were too many toys everywhere.  So, I copied a quint mom and made several variety bins of toys I can switch out when I want to.  This way there's less to pick up each day and they don't get bored of the same toys all the time.
Andrew checking out the new toy bin

Here comes the cho cho wagon!

Backyard fun in the pool


2 comments:

  1. Love the backyard pool, that looks fun! And I like the idea about the toy bins, very easy way to keep things new and organized. I may have to start that at the new house. We move in four more days!!

    ReplyDelete