Wednesday, July 18, 2012

What's going on

You know the coordination trick of patting your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time?  Well Maggie just came and got in my face so I was petting a dog and bouncing Levi in the bouncy seat at the same time and that's what it felt like.

It's been a couple of weeks since I updated for several reasons: I don't have any major updates, I didn't realize it had been that long, and 4 babies has been a bigger adjustment than 3.  After about a week we started to feel like we got a better handle on 4, plus Levi started sleeping better with his mattress elevated.  At home they are all doing well!  When I weighed them a few days ago Benjamin and Andrew were up to 8 1/2 lbs and able to fit in the Baby Bjorns- yea for hands free holding!  Caroline was 7 lb 11 oz, and Levi was just barely 5 lbs.  He still feels like a tiny smidgen when you pick him up.  Ben and Andrew are eating just over 4 oz, Caroline's eating just under 4 oz, and Levi's at 2 1/2 oz per feeding.  They've all started to enjoy their tummy time and usually fall asleep.  They are all starting to focus better with their eyes, especially Benjamin.  He seems to like looking at lights.  We're also figuring out who likes what- Ben and Caroline like swings, Andrew likes the vibrating bouncy seat, and Levi likes being walked around (really doesn't help me out too much when they're all crying).  One of Levi's NICU nurses walked him around every morning, so I blame her.  I often feel like it's Groundhog Day here at home with the schedules and routines; it does get broken up by different visitors and my random outings, which I love!
Benjamin and Levi

Gammy and Caroline in their matching orange
Speaking of outings, Dave and I celebrated our 5th Anniversary last Saturday!  We weren't planning on really doing anything, but my parents and grandparents insisted on babysitting, so we went out for a movie, dinner, and dessert :)  I'm so thankful that my family is here to help so much and that Mama and Jeanie clean the house every time they come over- even if they just did it two days before and I tell them not to.  

NICU babies are still slowly progressing.  Allison is eating more, but it depends on who is feeding her. Yesterday she took 3 whole bottles which is the best yet.  She's weighing almost 6 1/2 lbs these days and Leah is 5 lbs. 4 oz.  Allison may come home with her feeding tube if she doesn't get it together soon.  Leah's up to half breast milk/half IV nutrition, so she's slowly working her way up to all breast milk.  Her scar looks way better already.  That's about it for them.  All the babies are getting big so fast- Leah and Levi are the only ones still in preemie clothes.  

I got my 6 seater stroller today!!  Now it just needs to be put together.  I also got a double jogging stroller for cheap from my neighbor; between the rain and the mosquitos I've only tested it out once (walking), but it was so easy.  
Benjamin and Andrew ready to roll
Today while I was visiting the NICU, a neonatalogist came to ask me how I manage 4 babies at home because he wanted to share with some of his patient moms.  Then I thought other people are probably curious as well.  First of all, my parents are here which is the main reason things are somewhat under control and any of us are sleeping.  The babies are still on the ready-to-use preemie formula so bottle making is time consuming, but simple.  I make all the bottles for 24 hours at once, right now this takes about 20 minutes.  Bath time is a team effort (2-3 people); from start to finish it takes us 20-30 minutes depending on how many of us are involved in the assembly line.  Feedings are usually my parents and I - I feed 2 babies and they each feed one; however, my mom has now learned to feed 2 at once so we may be switching it up sometimes.  Luckily the babies still sleep a lot so we all have time to do other things during the day and get some naps in when we want.  I'm a little nervous for August when my parents leave and it'll be us and whoever volunteers to help out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment